Thursday 11 July 2013

WIP 11.7.13

My goodness it's nice and toasty at the moment . . . 1st a huge congratulations to Andy Murray for his incredible determination in finally winning Wimbledon especially with the pressure that has been heaped on him all his playing career!!! Next the usual apology for not posting more frequently, I've been working far to hard for far to long, however I have been doing some conversions that can be seen below.

Up until a couple of days ago I hadn't done any painting at all lately as I had been concentrated on the conversions, however last Wednesday evening I stupidly ruptured the Achilles tendon in my left leg (hellish, hellish, HELLISH!!!) and I am now stuck in the house for the next 6-8 (or maybe more) weeks? What can I do? There is only so much daytime TV a man can watch before he takes his own life and for me that amounts to around 1hr a week (Everybody loves Raymond x2).

With my 1813-15 Prussians I have started to work towards the Katzbach order of battle as something solid to aim for. The OOB has a national cavalry unit in it and as I had no idea what 1 it was I did a wee bit of asking and searching. I found out the unit was the East Prussian National Cavalry EPNK and with there being no figures of the unit available I decided to convert my own. The basic figures are the AB Prussian landwehr cavalry figures with various modifications.
  
1st the Elite squadron wears a French style colpack/busby and sports shoulder scales, also the troopers have hussar braid added with Pro-create and green stuff. The officer is in the short uniform (I would have liked him in the long coat however figured the conversion would be to time consuming) The heads are from AB French elite hussars.  

The regular troopers have the 1812 Russian kiwer (all have plumes at the moment however I may change some and maybe add some shako covers?). The heads are from AB Russian hussars.
  
Again the hussar braid was added with the same materials above as are the eagle plates and shako cords. This will be an interesting unit to field (Run Forest Run . . .) 

I also decided to finish this wee command base for my Kurassiers . . . It's been lying around for far to long. I'll pop some grass on it later when I have some more troops finished.
  
My buddy Robert was kind enough to drop off a Russian church I purchased through his friend (nice), and I also managed to knock out another 3 hussars (not shown as they are drying). So that is 17 down, 7 to go. I also started putting some paint on some of my uhlans that have been sitting around primed for months . . .  
   
I have been looking at my AB Prussian uhlans for quite a wee while wondering what to do with them. They look to have the saddle cloth for Waterloo so I did the penant for that period also. They are the Brandenburg uhlans so fall into my Katzbach OOB nicely to.
    
I couldn't be arsed to do the red pin line on the trousers, not because I can't do it but because after 3 shading the uniform, flesh, penants and shako's in my burning loft I thought to myself what's the point . . .
   
This is Bertheir for a friend.
  
He came out pretty well and I'll do him for myself at some point to.
    
And for me . . . some little additions to my future Saxons, some light infantry chaps. I'm pretty pleased with the buttons!

So for the moment I hope to continue to add to my collection while I am in plaster. I'll try not to scunner myself to much and hopefully the weather will cool just a wee bit so the loft isn't to bad . . . I hope to finish my hussars, maybe the uhlans and I have 2 regiments of dragoons I would seriously like to touch up and finish (although they are not on the Katzbach OOB). There are also plenty of workbench infantry . . .

12 comments:

John (VonBlucher) said...

Paul,
Great looking conversions!!
I see you are moving back to your old painting style. The Ulan looks quite nice.

Bummer on the injury, too bad you couldn't have done it during the colder weather, like winter. On the bright side think of all the painted figures you'll get done.

Keep in touch.

John

Gonsalvo said...

Great artistry on the conversions, Paul, and my sympathies for the ruptured Achilles!

Phil said...

Looking good! The Saxons are really impressive...and great conversions works...

The Angry Lurker said...

Bloody good work Paul, who doesn't like a little Raymond on Channel 4 in the morning........maybe some Bargain Hunt too!

Stryker said...

Clever ruse to get some painting time - seriously though get well soon! Fantastic looking figures as always...

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Paul. I dont mind a bit of Everyone Loves R, especially Deborah :)

john B

Ken said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear that - you will miss Claymore then?

James MacCraggs said...

Some good looking study there matey!

Darren said...

Paul, you are mad mate..... moulding braid on 15mm miniatures. With skills like that the great man Mr Barton better watch out! Lol

Darren Ashton said...

Cracking work Paul, but moulding braid on 15mm miniatures....... Lol.
Sorry to hear about your mishap recently, take it easy mate, cracking work again.
Never mind the poxy Landwehr.... lets see the 1st and 2nd Prussian Guards! ...........

LittleArmies said...

It's a terrible shame about your injury - I've been told Achilles problems are very painful. Hopefully you will make a full recovery quickly.

I'm very envious of your abilities with the greenstuff. Those conversions look wonderful. And the church looks great too.

Paulalba said...

Thanks for yer kind comments guys, the injury was a killer when it happened (kind of blanked out for a second or 2 on the way down). Just need to suck it up now.

I don't think Mr Barton need worry as his figures are incredible when you go close in on them. I just hope he will continue to do more.

Just thrown myself into the painting and have only 3 hussars to go to finish the Brandenburg. John i have went back to my original style but with extra flesh tone and although it takes ages to do regiments im a lot happier with the results.Darren I have the guard fusilier battalion coming up soon and the full guard regiment will be finished. If you look back my Prussians you will see the 2 guard musketeer battalions and volunteer jager.

Again thanks for your positive comments guys and I'll try to share some more stuff soon.